Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bob Barnes (1928-2011)

Bob Barnes (Robert H. Barnes) died October 6, 2011.  He was a friend.  I just now found out he passed away.  He lived in Woodstock, New York and we kept in touch infrequently - a letter or a card or both around Christmastime - a phone call now and then.  But I thought about Bob a lot - he was pretty much alone the last few years of his life - we had musical interests in common - him, a fine pianist and me a friend of jazz since 1954, the very first Newport Jazz Festival.  Bob was a musician and a teacher - noble professions - smart and dedicated.  I met Bob a few years ago where he was taking part in a summer music program, SummerKeys, in a town on the northern coast of Maine, Lubec.  And Bob and I had a jazz musician in common, my friend jazz saxophonist Greg Abate.  Bob had seen Greg perform at a venue in New Mexico on two occasions and immediately became a fan of this renowned bebop player.  In 2002, I arranged for Bob to play piano with Greg on a benefit concert for the library in Lubec.  He did a very credible job accompanying one of the best jazz players in the world, Greg Abate.  Bob studied with the late great Lennie Tristano - another notch in his creds.  Bob Barnes, interpreter of the Cole Porter songbook; he will be missed. -December 19, 2011