Sunday, January 2, 2011

the big canvas...

I look at the big canvas leaned against the fireplace
I wonder
Is there a Dave Brubeck smile on it?
I look at the big canvas
2 smaller ones leaned against
A new antique white picture frame leaned against
It
2 finished 11X14 portraits leaned against
It
Jazz portraits Greg & Mac
I wonder
Looking at the big canvas
Is there a Duke Ellington smile on it?
Poetry?
Shadows of a bullfight crowd?
Colors?
Peaches?
Cream?

2 non-recycle plastic bags of acrylic paints
&
A non-recycle plastic bag of housepainter's brushes
On the hearth
&
A witch's ball there
Too
To stave off the wolves
Of writer's block
Of painter's block
Of new kids on the block

I must put the big canvas in the backseat of the boat now
&
Beat
Against the wind
(Is there a Chet Baker smile on it?)
(Clifford Brown's trumpet?)
(Anita O'Day Carmen McRae?)
To Boot Cove